Monday, June 15, 2009

“Good Food, Good Life” Dinner Night

Nicole - A couple years ago at work every employee received a copy of the Nestle Cookbook, and I have to admit that it had been collecting dust on my bookshelf. I’m not sure why since I eat quite a few Nestle products, and it was time to crack the book open and give some recipes a try. I am sure that after the disastrous Juicy Juice Mango soup at last summer’s fruit dinner night the Foxy Ladies may have had some reservations, but how could we go wrong with “hundreds of triple-tested, easy recipes for breakfast, lunch, dinner, and dessert from the largest food company in the world!” (Disclosure: three of the four Foxy Foodies work for Nestle)

Corn Chowder

Heather – This was an easy corn chowder recipe and turned out delicious. I wasn’t sure about how the evaporated milk would make it taste but you really couldn’t tell the difference and it was much healthier than a version made with half-and-half or cream. The fresh rosemary is a must!



K: Thumbs up - really tasty!
N: Thumbs up
R: Thumbs up
H: Thumbs up.

Baked Pesto Chicken

Kristin - This recipe was simple and delicious. The key to it was smoothering the chicken with pesto. I topped it with tomatoes (generously!) and mozzarella cheese. A good quick week night meal.



K: Thumbs up
N: Thumbs up – easy and yummy!
R: Thumbs up - yes, great weeknight meal.
H: Thumbs up.

Broccoli Pesto Angel Hair

Nicole - The reviews on the meals.com website all raved about this recipe (mostly 5 star's), so I'm not exactly sure how we ended up with a so-so dish. Were our expectations too high since we liked everything else so much? Was it just too healthy, a la Cooking Light? I would give it a try again just to see if I can get better results.

K: Thumbs sideways- While it was a healthy version, I’ve actually made much better with spinach before.
N: Thumbs sideways – sauce was okay.
R: Thumbs sideways - I think I’d just go with pesto pasta and skip the broccoli. ;)
H: Thumbs up.

Raisin Bread Pudding

Rissa - Raisin Bread Pudding sounds fancy to me...in the sense that it’s hard to pull off my most fave restaurant editions. Nicole had a great idea to buy Hawaiian bread instead of just regular french bread. That is key. And soaking the bread pieces in evap milk for as long as you can is probably another good idea (I guess the only watch out would be to ensure it’s not tooooo soggy, but is that possible?). Add in all the spices and raisins, throw it in a pan, and you’re done! Only complaint or just a difference from the restaurants is that I need some rum sauce on top. But it was still very, very tasty and I would make again.



K: Thumbs sideways- slightly dry but overall good flavor
N: Thumbs up! Bread pudding is one my favorite desserts and this did not disappoint.
R: Thumbs up.
H: Thumbs up.

“Kir Royale”

Nicole - There was no real recipe for this one, we just filled champagne flutes halfway with Prosecco, and then added about an equal amout of Juicy Juice Berry. My friend who works on Juicy Juice had said that the product is a great mixer, and she was right!


K: Thumbs up- gotta love the bubbly
N: Thumbs up – it is hard for me not to like a bubbly drink.
R: Thumbs up
H: Thumbs up! So delicious and easy

No comments: